Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A Fresh B-Schooler Attitude...

In my three months of working life, I have had a lot of fights with my own fresh B-Schooler attitude. When I was in IMDR, I used to make strategic analysis, resolve case studies, making reports and giving presentations. It sure gives a kind of hype as to the future roles. Yet, when I look back, joining a B-School straight out of college has its own disadvantages. People tend to generate their own assumptions without a realistic exposure. The live projects do give a glimpse into the real scenario and they can be shaped in a more better manner.

When I joined TCS, I had a straight 40 days training where I was introduced to the software industry background and the TCS business areas. All I could take away are the life skills classes. The training was not focused or tailor made to suit the kind of roles an MBA is expected to perform. Its like asking too much because there were 200 batch mates and each would be put into different roles which have their own responsibilities and requirements.

I landed up in an in-house R&D project of TCS where I have to plan the marketing of the products designed by my team. Life is quite relaxed in TCS as I don't have to strain myself and the work pace is quite relaxed. Sometimes, I got all the time in world for myself. I have all the freedom to explore library, or the Internet.. The way I respond to the situations depends on myself and my attitude. Things are done quite differently once I have started working.

One doesn't need to be a Jack of all Trades. I need to focus on the current job and need to say myself that " I am going to do the current job better than anyone who has done it earlier". Competing with oneself always pays. It keeps me in better health and in better pace. The moment I start worrying about the future and the fast track growth (a gift from my fresh B-Schooler attitude), my mental peace is gone down the drain. Life is pretty much simple, I try to do what I like the best. I need to keep that constant urge to better myself alive.

Yet, those Philip Kotler days in IMDR come to my mind. IMDR was an oasis which sheltered me for two years. It was a different world, yet it makes makes me comfortable with myself. May be this self-awareness is one takeaway which I name from IMDR. Now, the journey is on and life rolls on..

7 comments:

Rani Sowmya said...

Spamming is not encouraged in this blog. Please respect the blogger's interest.

Anonymous said...

"People tend to generate their own assumptions without a realistic exposure". Very true...
"The moment I start worrying about the future and the fast track growth (a gift from my fresh B-Schooler attitude), my mental peace is gone down the drain. Life is pretty much simple, I try to do what I like the best. I need to keep that constant urge to better myself alive" is even better...
But is any thing wrong with fasttrack growth..or on the name of mental peace you want to get rid to face challenges B'cos life is very calm in TCS and you are getting just enough money to live a healthy life.

Anonymous said...

forget to write...
what u said assumption is a direction to someone which is a bit distant from realistic exposure.

Rani Sowmya said...

Quite a thought provoking comment. Let me clarify. I am not averse to the fasttrack growth, only that its definition is quite vague. I just don't support the comparisons one does with the peers. I have seen quite a lot of people who are a little uncomfortable because of their own ideas of fasttrack growth.

What I meant was taking a single step at a time. Focusing attention on that one small step.. I never shy away from challenges if they come my way. Well, I maynot go hunting for them. I believe that if one outperforms in whatever work one does, he/she will definitely be noticed. That's what I meant by bettering myself. Quality and balance in life is indeed important.

Anonymous said...

Outing of public figures continues to stir debate
From the Associated Press: Though decried by many gay rights leaders, the outing of public figures is expanding into new terrain as Internet bloggers target congressional staffers, political strategists, ...
Hey, you have a nice blog here! Awesome job. I have
a free dating services site. It pretty much covers free dating services related stuff.

Come and check it out when you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

agree, Do you belive in Lateral thinking??
I am never against in doing your job in the best way..
But you can always open your ear and eyes...

Rani Sowmya said...

Very true.. One needs to be aware of the current happenings. Opening Eyes and ears always helps!