Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Being rich in true sense..

Through a lot of discussions I had, I came to wonder what's being rich? Is being rich means having loads of material wealth, most of which you don't really put to use? Is rich means having a lot of comfort in life that everything comes to your footsteps and you don't even move your body? Or is being rich means being in content with what one has, having the ability to say enough, enjoying little things of life, having a rich inner life which is reflected through outward actions? Somehow, I find myself being evaluated on the kind of possessions or money I possess rather than the kind of individual I am. Does this really have meaning for me? Somehow, being rich for me is having self-worth which is not affected by an alien, having the courage and confidence to stand for one's values and the ability to make a positive difference in the world through a meaningful existence. As Gandhi says, " Nature provides for everyone's need, not greed".. I muse on the meaning of being rich if it doesn't lead to an enriching life.

No comments: